What would you think if you wound up on this landing page?
Check out some of the terms being used:
“The Next Generation of Awesome”
“Bleeding edge solution”
“Age of disruption”
“World class features”
Might your BS detector start going off?
These words are superlatives — meaningless filler. The language is flowery (and not in a good way).
And while this is an extreme example, jargonistic, superlative-laden landing pages are everywhere.
They lack specificity and don’t drive home any message. They aren’t persuasive and their unique value proposition is a blur. They make people feel lost — like they just crawled out of a fallout shelter for the first time in 35 years.
The worst part? You could have meaningless drivel on your landing page and not even know it.
Here’s how it works:
- Download and install Unbounce’s Dejargonator Chrome Extension
- Run it on any landing page or website — offending phrases will be highlighted in red. (You can test it on this extra sleazy page here.)
- Hover over the red text and see what’s wrong:
- Finally, update your page to be
- Less sleazy and superlative-y
- More specific (and thereby more persuasive)
Simple enough? Download the plugin below.
Original Source: Eliminate Jargon on Your Landing Pages With Our Free Chrome Extension